Stories posted are written by National news Journalists, not by this blog.
Our Blog Tips

St. Pete Councilman Bryan commits suicide

9-7-2007 Florida:

FLORAL CITY - Just hours after handing in his resignation from the St. Petersburg City Council, John Bryan drove to a property he owns in Citrus County and committed suicide.

Bryan was under criminal investigation for allegedly having sexual relationships with three females in his home - two of them his teenage adopted daughters.

The 56-year-old's body was discovered by a reporter for the St. Petersburg Times who went to Floral City to talk to Bryan.

The Times reported he was slumped over in a golf cart inside his garage. A still running lawn mower was parked nearby.

St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Baker issued a statement through a spokesperson saying "My thoughts and prayers are with the Bryan family tonight."

Councilman Earnest Williams told The Associated Press on Friday evening that he was shocked by Bryan's passing.

"I was very surprised and amazed," Williams said. "He was always willing to help out other folks. It's just a sad day for everyone involved."

In a resignation letter released to the media earlier Friday, Bryan wrote, "I would like to extend my sincere appreciation to the citizens of this great community for their confidence in me to represent them. It has been a pleasure to work with one of this city's finest Mayors, and extremely effective City Council, and a truly great city staff."

According to court sources, a female who used to be in the Bryan home - who is now an adult - came forward claiming she had a sexual relationship with him that began when she was still a minor.

She also claimed Bryan had sex with his two adopted teenage daughters.

Bryan claimed in court that the relationship with the older girl took place after she became an adult - and was consensual.

He denied having any sexual relationship with the two younger girls.

According to a bio on the St. Petersburg city website, Bryan was married with three grown children and two school-aged children.

Bryan was first elected to the District 2 Council seat in 2001, and re-elected in 2005. Before seeking office, he retired from his own business - Bryan Homes - which has built over 300 homes in the St. Petersburg area. ..more.. by FOX 13


In the final hours, John Bryan appeared in control

As the week crashed down on John Bryan, officials who knew of the abuse inquiry were on the lookout for trouble signals.

ST. PETERSBURG - In the final hours of his public life, as the walls closed in around him, John Bryan appeared in control.

For 30 minutes on Friday, John Wolfe, the city's top attorney, looked for any crack.

Bryan talked about how sorry he was, mainly for hurting his family and his friends, and for the media circus that was to come. Much of the meeting, though, was marked by silence, Wolfe said.

But in what may have been his last conversation, Bryan also focused on the future, where he would stay and how he would get by in the days and weeks ahead.

Wolfe kept looking for signs that Bryan was unstable.

He found none.

As news of Bryan's suicide on Friday sunk in on Saturday, a clearer picture of the events of the past week began to emerge. But even those final moments don't reconcile with the public face of John Bryan that most people remembered -- the family man, the civic leader and the committed St. Petersburg City Council chairman.

"There was no indication at all what was going to happen," Wolfe said Saturday, retracing his last moments with Bryan, 56. "There just wasn't anything."

- - -

A little more than two weeks ago, Bryan had lunch with George Rahdert, a friend and political supporter. Rahdert, a developer and attorney who also represents the St. Petersburg Times, said Bryan talked about his separation from his wife, Alicia, a financial planner in Tampa.

He seemed optimistic that they would get back together, Rahdert said. Bryan told him his wife blamed their marital turmoil "on the time he was spending on his political commitments."

Bryan said he had decided not to run for mayor, so he could repair his marriage.

"I was surprised that he seemed willing to set aside those political ambitions," Rahdert said. "It seemed admirable."

- - -

St. Petersburg police Chief Chuck Harmon said the department formally began investigating Bryan on Wednesday. Detectives with the crimes against children unit conducted interviews related to allegations that Bryan had sexually abused his adopted daughters. Harmon said detectives spoke to Bryan at least once. Police declined to identify other people interviewed, but they found reason to proceed.

"They told me based upon what they learned that there were some criminal allegations here," Harmon said.

The chief called Mayor Rick Baker late Wednesday afternoon to alert him to the investigation. "It was about a matter important to the city," Harmon said.

He told Baker that the investigation focused on Bryan's personal life, not his role as City Council chairman. The chief said he did not provide the mayor with many details because the investigation was still ongoing.

A day later, Thursday, Bryan made an appointment to speak with Wolfe.

He picked the time, 1 p.m. Friday. He didn't say what was on his mind.

- - -

Around 10:15 a.m. Friday, Bryan attended a shelter hearing in front of Circuit Judge Raymond Gross at the criminal court complex in Largo. Such hearings determine who has custody of children while authorities investigate abuse allegations.

Bryan and his wife were present. The children were not, said attorney Christie Pardo, who was in the courtroom.

Authorities were investigating allegations that Bryan had sexually abused two of his adopted daughters, ages 12 and 15, officials have said. The Times is withholding their names because of the nature of the allegations.

In addition, police were investigating whether Bryan had sexually abused his former nanny, whom he also had adopted. She is now 38 and lives out of state.

A Pinellas-Pasco Circuit Court spokesman said Bryan admitted to a sexual relationship with the nanny, but said it was consensual and occurred after she turned 18. Bryan also had two children from a previous marriage.

At the end of the hearing, Judge Gross ordered Bryan to have no contact with the two girls, who were allowed to remain at home with their mother.

The hearing lasted 15 minutes.

- - -

News of the hearing began spreading beyond the courthouse, and concern in City Hall mounted.

First Deputy Mayor Tish Elston and Deputy Mayor Goliath Davis considered whether Bryan could be helped by an employee assistance program.

When he heard about the allegations, Davis said he began calling Bryan because "from all my law enforcement experience, I know that you have to reach out and grab that person because when the pressure starts to mount, you don't want someone to do what John did."

Harmon also had started calling the City Council members to inform them.

Council member Bill Foster asked if police could protect Bryan. Could someone stay with him? Could he be arrested?

"I specifically said you can't let him out of your sight," Foster recalled Saturday.

"The three legs of the stool John Bryan stood on were city, family and his civic involvement," Foster said. "Yesterday all three of the legs of that stool were knocked over. You had to know the meaning of these things to him, to know we were in trouble."

Harmon said he was mindful of such concerns.

He knew Bryan was set to meet with Wolfe at 1 p.m. so he asked the city attorney to let him know if he noticed anything unusual or disturbing about Bryan's behavior, and to offer any appropriate help through the city's employee assistance program.

The letter Bryan handed to Wolfe, dated Aug. 20, originally indicated he would resign Sept. 1. Wolfe did not ask for details, but he had Bryan write in a new date and sign the letter.

Wolfe walked Bryan to the elevator after the meeting. He told Bryan to call him if he needed anything or someone to talk to.

Thanks, Bryan said, and left.

Around 2 p.m., Harmon and Wolfe spoke. Harmon asked if Wolfe saw any sign Bryan was going to harm himself or others.

"I asked him, 'Is he homicidal or suicidal?'" the chief said. "Mr. Wolfe told me: 'No.'"

If Bryan had shown such signs, police could have taken some action. But "there was no information brought to us that would allow us to take him into custody under the Baker Act or anything like that," Harmon said.

City officials announced Bryan's resignation in a tense, swift news conference at 3:45 p.m.

Davis and City Council member Rene Flowers kept calling Bryan's new cell phone, hoping he would answer.

- - -

Bryan was found dead in the garage of his Floral City home at 5:45 p.m. by a St. Petersburg Times reporter seeking an interview. Bryan killed himself by inhaling carbon monoxide.

About four hours later, Richard Giglio, a local attorney for Bryan's oldest adopted daughter, issued a statement:

"(The daughter) and her family are deeply distraught by the recent events involving her adoptive father and St. Petersburg City Council Chairman, John Bryan," Giglio said.

In an interview Saturday, Giglio, a partner with the law firm Maney & Gordon, said he is representing only the oldest daughter.

"She is in the process of dealing with everything that's going on," Giglio said.

He declined to say anything more.

- - -

Police spokesman Bill Proffitt said officials would decide this week what to do next with the investigation. "We will have to meet on Monday to decide how to close the investigation and to decide when all the documents become public record," he said.

Gail Tierney, spokeswoman for the Citrus County Sheriff's Office, said authorities were still waiting for autopsy results before releasing Bryan's suicide note.

It was found on the kitchen counter, written on a single page still attached to a yellow legal pad, Tierney said.

Bryan began writing in pencil, then switched to a pen.

"It just seemed to be kind of a goodbye kind of note from what I heard," Tierney said. "It was more wishing his family well and that he had confidence in them that they would do well."

"It was a farewell kind of note more than anything else."

Times editors Stephen Buckley and Neil Brown, staff writers Chris Tisch, Nicole Hutcheson, Cristina Silva and Barbara Behrendt and researcher Caryn Baird contributed to this report. Aaron Sharockman can be reached at or (727) 892-2273.

How it happened


St. Petersburg police begin investigating allegations that City Council Chairman John Bryan sexually abused his adopted daughters.

Police Chief Chuck Harmon calls Mayor Rick Baker and alerts him to the investigation.


Bryan sets up an appointment to speak on Friday with the city's top attorney, John Wolfe. He doesn't say why.


10:15 a.m.: Bryan attends a court hearing on who will have custody of his children while authorities investigate abuse allegations. The judge orders him to have no contact with his two young adopted daughters.

Midmorning: As news spreads, Harmon tells Wolfe to alert him if Bryan shows any disturbing behavior.

1 p.m.: Bryan and Wolfe meet. Bryan resigns.

2 p.m.: Wolfe tells Harmon there is no indication Bryan is a danger to himself or others.

3:45 p.m.: City officials announce Bryan's resignation.

5:45 p.m.: A St. Petersburg Times reporter finds Bryan dead in the garage of his Floral City home. He had inhaled carbon monoxide. ..more.. by AARON SHAROCKMAN, ABHI RAGHUNATHAN and JACOB H. FRIES, Times Staff Writers


Final Farewell After Sex Claims: 'This Is Only Way to Protect You'
9-30-2007 Florida:

ST. PETERSBURG | John Bryan's 15-year-old adopted daughter was standing in line at the Atlanta airport, waiting to fly home after a cross country trip, when she told her new older sister that she had a secret. No one else could ever know, the girl said. But she had to tell someone:

Dad "touched me."

That revelation in early July, from one adopted daughter to another, revealed a dark legacy of sexual coercion and abuse that would destroy the public image of Bryan, the City Council chairman. The allegations would stun a city, fracture a family and lead to Bryan's suicide in his Floral City house Sept. 7 as he faced a police investigation.

On Thursday afternoon, police released a report of their investigation into Bryan. If Bryan had not killed himself, the report says, police would have referred two felony charges of lewd and lascivious molestation to the Pinellas-Pasco State Attorney's Office, based on allegations that he fondled his 15-year-old adopted daughter. If convicted on both counts, he faced between 8 1/2 and 30 years in prison.

Police redacted the report to shield the identities of possible victims, but a court spokesman has identified the girls involved as two of Bryan's adopted daughters, ages 15 and 38.

Among other revelations in the report:

Bryan twice fondled his 15-year-old daughter as they lay in the same bed within a span of a few months about two years ago. He told police he had been "disoriented" and the touches had been inadvertent.

Bryan, 56, admitted to investigators that he had purchased things for his oldest adopted daughter, now 38, hoping to persuade her to have sex with him when she was 18. The woman told police that Bryan had tried to force himself upon her during a trip to Washington and promised to leave her alone only when she threatened to cry "rape." She said they eventually had a sexual relationship, telling investigators that she feared he would kick her out of the house if she didn't relent.

Bryan's wife, Alicia, learned that he may have inappropriately touched her daughter at least one year ago, but she didn't tell authorities. She was apparently influenced by Bryan's explanations and apologies, the report says. Police uncovered no evidence of criminal wrongdoing by Alicia, though the report says she made "a poor decision" in accepting her husband's stories.

A relative of Bryan recently walked in on him as he was taking his young niece's pants off.

As Bryan spoke to investigators about these allegations late on the night of Sept. 5, he knew his political career was over. He admitted making mistakes, but maintained he was a good man, the report says.

"I've just tried to be an upstanding citizen," he said, "but I've made a couple of errors in my life."

'No other place to go'

By 1986, John Bryan and his wife, Marion, had two sons, ages 5 and 9, and seemed happy.

The pair took in a teen as a nanny and adopted her after her 18th birthday.

About this time, Bryan routinely bragged to friends and co-workers about his extramarital affairs.

Marion Bryan told investigators that she eventually learned her husband was having an affair with their newly adopted daughter. The couple divorced in 1992.

That adopted daughter, now 38, told police Bryan first fondled her as she lay sleeping in bed when Marion was out. She told police she was 17 at the time. Within a month, she said, Bryan tried to molest her in the garage by forcing her against a car, but she wriggled loose.

She also told investigators that in Washington, Bryan tried to force himself on her.

They later began a sexual relationship that ended after she tried to commit suicide at 19.

The Ledger is withholding her name because of the nature of the allegations.

Bryan denied forcing himself on his oldest adopted daughter. He said he "fell in love" with her.

Apology accepted

After his divorce from Marion in 1992, Bryan met financial executive Alicia Linney. They married in 1993. Bryan's new wife decided she wanted children, and the couple made plans to adopt.

The Bryans became licensed foster parents in 2004.

They went on to adopt two girls, now 12 and 15. The report says Bryan molested the 15-year-old daughter about two years ago.

The girl told investigators he touched her genitalia while she was in a bed with him.

She said that some months later he touched her again in the same way, and that it made her "uncomfortable."

About a year later, the girl told a few people details about what Bryan did, including her mother, Alicia, according to the report.

Alicia, now 47, told investigators she confronted Bryan. He told her he had made a mistake and apologized for what he described as accidents. The report says she forgave him.

a way to protect

Just before 1 p.m. on Sept. 5, someone called the state child abuse hot line alleging that Bryan had abused his adopted daughters. Police Sgt. Katy Connor-Dubina and the department's crimes against children unit interviewed all three adopted daughters. They interviewed Bryan at the police station about 11:20 p.m.

After Bryan was read his rights, he was asked about his 15-year-old daughter's claims. He admitted that he had touched her twice, but he claimed that he was "disoriented" both times, that the contact was not intentional.

As police continued investigating, a court hearing was held Sept. 7.

A judge ordered Bryan to have no contact with his adopted daughters. That afternoon, Bryan handed in his City Council resignation letter and drove to his Floral City home.

A St. Petersburg Times reporter found his body there that evening, apparently dead from carbon monoxide poisoning.

In his suicide note, Bryan offered little to clear up his motivations.

"This is the only way to protect you," he wrote, after naming Alicia and his two youngest daughters. "Girls grow up to be special I know you will."

He signed the letter "Dad." ..more.. by ABHI RAGHUNATHAN, St. Petersburg Times

No comments: