Stories posted are written by National news Journalists, not by this blog.
Our Blog Tips
Showing posts with label by Driving car into tree. Show all posts
Showing posts with label by Driving car into tree. Show all posts

Cary teacher facing sex charge dies

2-25-2011 California:

CARY (WTVD) -- A teaching assistant at East Cary Middle School that was facing sex charges has died in a car crash.

In January, police charged 62-year-old Mark Jay Fox of Cary with indecent liberties with a minor.

Authorities said at the time that they had reason to believe Fox "inappropriately touched" a girl on more than one occasion.

On Monday afternoon, the California Highway Patrol reported that Fox was the driver in a 2006 Jeep Cherokee that crossed over the double yellow lines on Ortega Hwy (SR-74), then veered off the roadway and down a steep embankment.

Fox was ejected from the vehicle and found 600 feet over the side. No one else was in the vehicle.

The cause of the accident is still under investigation. Officials have not ruled whether it was an accident, suicide or anything else at this point.

Fox had worked at East Cary Middle School since the fall of 2009. According to the school's website he was an in-school suspension teacher.

Police had said the victim did not attend East Cary Middle, but warrants reveal the inappropriate touching happened when the child was placed in a teacher assistant-student relationship with Fox.

They said the crimes took place over the course of several months in a residential setting and that one of the child's parents notified authorities.

Fox had been placed on a $100,000 bond. ..Source.. by ABC News

NH- Man killed in Lakes Region crash faced trial

4-25-2009 New Hampshire:

SANDWICH – A man who died in a single-vehicle crash on Squam Lake Road Friday morning was facing trial on four charges of equipment theft later this year in Carroll County Superior Court.

State Police said that Andrew Alimonti, 52, of Moultonborough, was a passenger in a 1991 Pontiac Firebird being driven by Scott Condit, 39, of Conway, which was westbound and went off the right side of the roadway shortly after 7 a.m. and collided with a tree.

Police said Alimonti died as a result of injuries sustained in the crash, which took place less than a half mile east of the Sandwich town beach on Squam Lake. He was pronounced dead at the scene by Medical Examiner Will Bartels.

Condit was transported to Lakes Region General Hospital in Laconia where police say he is being treated for serious, but non-life threatening injuries.

Police said the accident is still under investigation but it does not appear that excessive speed or alcohol contributed to the crash.

Alimonti was indicted last year on four counts of receiving stolen property according to Carroll County Attorney Robin Gordon, who said the cases had not yet been scheduled for trial.

She said Alimonti had also been arrested in 2008 for failure to register as a sex offender with the Moultonborough Police Department.

Three weeks ago Moultonborough Police recovered a SUV belonging to Alimonti from a 15-foot-deep hole on his property on Dufault Road property.

Lt. Thomas Dawson of the Moultonborough Police Department said that the SUV belonged to Alimonti but police did not believe he was the person who buried it.

Dawson said Friday that the investigation into the incident is continuing.

Police were alerted to the buried vehicle following an incident at Alimonti’s property on March 31 in which a tenant, Michael Salsman, 34, allegedly beat his wife, Alacea Dyer Salsman, 23, and attempted to stab her with a butcher knife.

According to police, Alimonti took the knife away from Salsman, who faces five felony charges, including attempted murder, and is currently being held on $25,000 cash bail at the Carroll County House of Corrections.

Alimonti was arrested in April 2008 on charges of receiving stolen property after police found a stolen Caterpillar front end loader, which had been reported missing from the parking lot at the Steeplegate Mall in Concord, in his driveway.

The vehicle identification plates and decals had been removed and the exterior company decals had been scraped off the loader and the surface painted over.

Police said that the loader was seized and with assistance from the State Police- Highway Enforcement Division and was positively identified as the one which had been stolen in Concord in early 2008.

In addition to the front-end loader, which was valued at $40,000, police also recovered a 1987 Case backhoe loader valued at $18,000, a John Deere bulldozer valued at $40,000, a Bobcat loader valued at $14,000, and a 2001 Ski-Doo snowmobile, which had been reported stolen. Police said the total value of all of the stolen equipment, some of which had been missing for 10 years, was over $150,000. ..Source.. by ROGER AMSDEN, New Hampshire Union Leader Correspondent

Police: Man Admitted To Sexual Abuse Before Dying in Crash


Crash Victim Is Registered Sex Offender
2-19-2008 Ohio:

BELMONT COUNTY, Ohio -- A deadly crash in Belmont County Monday took a bizarre twist. Deputies said the driver, 44-year-old Charles Lewis, called police minutes before the crash and admitted he sexually abused two small children.

"He made some indications that he had committed a sex crime against two very small children. Needless to say we were out the door heading his way rather quickly," said Detective Ryan Allar, of the Belmont County Sheriff’s Department.

Deputies said after making the phone call, Lewis had a confrontation with his girlfriend. After that, he got into his van and drove away leaving a note behind.

Just a few minutes later, police found his van in a cemetery. Lewis had crashed it into a tree and died.

Deputies are still investigating the case and said more details will be coming out this week. ..more.. by John Paul, NEWS9



Sex Offender Death Sparks Registration Questions

2-20-2008 Ohio:

A sex offender committed suicide and deputies said in doing so revealed potential issues in the offender monitoring system.

Charles Lewis, 44, committed suicide Monday after not only calling in a confession to police, but also writing one to his girlfriend, admitting to sexually abusing a 5- and 7-year-old girl.

Before, earlier in the month of February, Lewis had been ranked a "Tier Three" sex offender. Sheriff Fred Thompson told NEWS9 "Tier Three" offenders are the most dangerous of all sexual predators.

Deputies said Lewis qualified as a "Tier Three" offender due to a previous rape conviction in the state of West Virginia, also against a young girl.

However, at the time of Lewis' suicide, deputies said brought on by yet another violent, sexual act, against children, he was not being followed, not registering and not doing other things deputies said "Tier Three" offenders are normally required to do.

Detective Ryan Allar said due to the fact that Lewis, and other offenders, are filing complaints about their status with the court, they're being placed on what's called a "Temporary Stay" list.

While on that "Temporary Stay" list Allar said the hands of law enforcement are tied, and Lewis' case proves that: "Lewis was living in a house with two small children after being convicted of a crime with small children and there's nothing we could've done to him for living with them."

Allar said the court is moving through the cases on the "Temporary Stay" list as quickly as possible, so that all offenders who belong in the tier system will be on it again soon. ..more.. by Ashley Koe, NEWS9



More Details Come To Light On Belmont County Suicide-By-Vehicle
2-20-2008 Ohio:

ST. CLAIRSVILLE, Ohio -- The most compelling piece of evidence in the Charles Lewis case has come to the attention of 7 News.

It's the audiotape of the call Lewis made to Belmont County Central Dispatch.

Lewis had apparently just confessed to his girlfriend and decided to confess to the Belmont County Sheriff's Department as well.

He starts by asking the dispatcher to send someone to an address on Centerville-Jacobsburg Road.

The dispatcher asks what is wrong.

"Uh, I need you to come and arrest me," Lewis said.

"Arrest you for what?" asks the dispatcher.

"Child molestation," he replies.

He gave his name as Charles Lewis.

His girlfriend could be heard crying in the background as Lewis continued asking to be arrested.

The dispatcher asks him to stay on the line, but his girlfriend, who had apparently just discovered that Lewis had been molesting her daughters, takes the phone.

At some points, she is screaming at Lewis in the background.

"How long has this been going on?" she asks him. "You lied! Get out of my house or I'll kill you myself!"

Responding to something Lewis apparently says in the background, she shrieks to the dispatcher, "He just admitted he's been doing it for an (expletive deleted )year!"

She begins to sob on the phone.

Again, she responds to something he apparently says in the background.

"No, you're not. Get out!"

The dispatcher asks what Lewis said to her.

"He's sorry," she answers. "He ain't sorry! He's been doing it for a year. He just admitted it to me."

The girlfriend begs the dispatcher to send deputies quickly and get Lewis out of the house before her little girls get home from school.

The dispatcher assures her the deputies would be right out.

However, in the meantime, Lewis apparently decided not to turn himself in.

When deputies arrived, he was gone.

A short time later, he was found dead, having smashed his van into a tree in a cemetery.

The Ohio Highway Patrol ruled it a suicide. ..more.. by D.K. Wright

Sex Assault Suspect Killed

12-27-2007 South Carolina:

A West Ashley High School teacher accused of raping a woman drove his car into a tree and died this morning, Charleston County Sheriff's Major John Clark said.

A suicide note was found in 38-year-old Scott Knight’s car.

Knight was free on a $20,000 bond after being arrested for criminal sexual conduct and assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature. Knight was accused of forcing a woman to have sex with him at his home in Concord West of the Ashley on 45 Sycamore Ave.

He had been on administrative leave from West Ashley High School since November, when he was arrested and charged with harassing two students.

Knight taught computer tech and was employed at the high school for four years. ..more.. by LIve 5 News


Teacher Arrested Second Time, Faces Two New Charges
12-24-2007 South Carolina

A West Ashley High School teacher, first accused of harassing a student, now faces serious new charges.

Scott Knight charged with Criminal Sexual Conduct and Assault and Battery of a High and Aggravated Nature.

The September incident happened in Knight’s bedroom, deputies said.

The woman told detectives Knight lured her into his bedroom, after he claimed he had gifts for her.

Instead, police say, he closed and locked the bedroom door and then pushed her down on his bed.

Reports show the woman tried to convince Knight to let her leave the room.

Instead, the arrest affidavit says knight pinned the woman down to the bed, then sexually assaulted her.

Investigators are still trying to figure out the connection between the two and how this woman ended up in Knight's apartment.

The 38-year old is out on a 20-thousand dollar bond...and on paid administrative leave.

No word on whether the new charges will change his status at the school district.

Mary Runyon, principal at West Ashley High School, by phone told Live 5 News it’s unfortunate any time something like this happens especially when it’s a teacher.

Runyon considers Knight a good teacher. ..more.. by Hatzel Vela,




Bond Set For West Ashley Teacher Accused Of Harassing Student
11-15-2007 South Carolina:

A West Ashley High School teacher is expected to get out of jail Thursday after he was arrested, accused of harassing a student.

Scott Knight, 38, was arrested Wednesday. He's being held at the Charleston County Detention Center.

A student complained Knight had been harassing her for the last month and a half.

She says he made vulgar sexual advances and continually insulted her boyfriend, saying he wasn't good enough for her. ..more.. by Hatzel Vela,