Stories posted are written by National news Journalists, not by this blog.
Our Blog Tips

Colo. Officer Shot While Executing Warrant

1-4-2011 Colorado:

Sex offender found dead after standoff

A registered sex offender who held Northglenn police at bay for several hours and fired at officers after they tried to enter his house was found dead early Tuesday morning after officers used a robot to enter his house.

Officers had arrived at a home in the 1400 block of Bowman Place near Irma Drive, looking for Matthew Anderson.

Officers had a warrant for his arrest and a search warrant for the address. Anderson, 40, was accused of attempting to lure a 13-year-old girl for sex over the Internet.

"When officers received no answer at the door, they breached the door and as soon as they got inside, gunfire came from inside the home, striking one of our officers," said Northglenn Police Chief Russell Van Houten.

Northglenn police officer Dennis Alps was hit.

“One of our officers was shot in the upper arm. Also another round, I was told, hit almost in the center of his body armor, in his chest,” Van Houten said.

“(Alps) was transported by ground ambulance down to Denver Health. He's been in the emergency department. And my understanding is if he hasn't already been released he's going to be released and go home,” Van Houten added.

Anderson was facing charges of Internet sex exploitation of a child, child inducement and Internet luring of a child. Anderson pleaded guilty in 2009 to similar charges filed in Jefferson County, according to Colorado court records.

After the SWAT team was called out a little after 6:45 p.m., some neighbors were told to stay inside their homes, while others were evacuated to an elementary school across the street.

After several hours with no communication from the suspect, police sent a robot into the house at about 1:30 a.m. on Tuesday.

“We deployed a robot into the front door after several other methods including chemical agents and throwing a throw phone in (didn't work.) The robot went in, went up the stairs and found the deceased male's body inside,” said Van Houten.

Investigators believe Anderson had been dead for several hours. Van Houten suspects Anderson shot himself shortly after he shot at officers.

Officials said Anderson's home was in foreclosure and the utilities had been shut off for some time. ..Source.. by ANICA PADILLA

No comments: