Stories posted are written by National news Journalists, not by this blog.
Our Blog Tips

Volusia County Sex Offender Takes Own Life

7-26-2010 Florida:

A convicted sex offender is no longer among us.

Volusia County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Gary Davidson said the unidentified man took his own life on Monday as deputies arrived at his house near DeLand to investigate a rape complaint.

The dead man’s name (Gerry Orr) is being withheld until family members are notified.

The incident occurred shortly after noon on Monday, while deputies were following up on a complaint from a 23-year-old woman who claimed to have been sexually assaulted by the 40-year-old suspect.

As deputies armed with a search warrant responded to the man’s home, took their position and prepared to go to the door, they heard a bang from inside the house.

When no one answered the door, deputies forced their way into the house and found the man dead in a bedroom from an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound.

The case remains under investigation and more information will be released as it becomes available. ..Source.. by Halifax Area News Watch


Deceased sex offender's girlfriend sought

7-28-2010 Florida:

A sex offender who fatally shot himself when deputies showed up at his house had held a woman hostage and sexually battered her, using guns to scare her, sheriff's officials said.

Deputies also are looking for Gerry Orr's live-in girlfriend, Jacqueline Delrey, 42, who has not been seen in more than a week, said sheriff's spokesman Gary Davidson. "Investigators haven't found any signs of foul play, but they want to talk to her to make sure she's OK," Davidson said.

Orr, 40, who lived near DeLand and had a conviction for alewd and lascivious act on a child, shot himself Monday after deputies obtained a warrant to search his home, which arose from a weeklong investigation by deputies after the allegations were made to Sanford police by a 23-year-old woman, Davidson said.

The woman reported to Sanford police that Orr held her captive for at least three days and repeatedly raped her in his Old New York Avenue home. The woman said she voluntarily went to Orr's home where they took drugs, but after a couple days she tried to leave and Orr would not let her. He threatened her with guns, Davidson said.

The woman finally got the opportunity to escape when their car broke down on their way to Sanford for more crack cocaine.

Neighbors of Delrey said they haven't seen her in about a week, and family members have gone even longer without seeing her. Anyone with information about Delrey's whereabouts is asked to call the Sheriff's Office at 386-736-5999. ..Source.. by PATRICIO G. BALONA, Staff writer


Police Seek Girlfriend of Sex Offender Who Committed Suicide Near DeLand

7-29-2010 Florida:

Authorities are seeking the public's help in locating the live-in girlfriend of a convicted sex offender who committed suicide this past Monday when deputies attempted to gain access to his house near DeLand.

Jacqueline Delrey hasn't been seen by friends and neighbors in over a week and Volusia County deputies are concerned for her well-being after the death of Gerry Orr. Deputies are saying at this point they don't suspect foul play in her disappearance, but would like to make sure she is ok.

Gerry Orr put a gun to his head and killed himself after deputies arrived at his house to serve a search warrant in a sexual battery case. As deputies approached the house they heard a bang, and after forcing their way into the home found Orr dead.

That case involved a 23-year-old victim who told deputies Orr held her against her will at his house in DeLand for three days after she asked to leave the house following a day of doing drugs with Orr. The victim said Orr forced himself on her five times over the three day period and went with him to Sanford in the hopes she could jump out of his car while they were there.

During the trip Orr's car broke down and the woman was able to make it away from him and call police.

On Monday, deputies went to Orr's house to look for evidence linking him to the sexual battery when he killed himself.

Deputies searched the home after Orr's death and found two additional guns, but no sign of Delrey. Family members of Delrey's said they haven't seen her in some time.

According to court records Orr was convicted in 1989 of lewd and lascivious behavior with a child under 16. ..Source.. by Lisa Stephenson


Remains ID'd as offender's girlfriend

9-1-2010 Florida:

Authorities late Tuesday confirmed a body found in the woods at Lake Beresford Park near DeLand is the same woman who has been missing since July, when Volusia County sheriff's deputies began investigating her boyfriend.

The medical examiner identified Jacqueline Delrey through dental records, according to Volusia County Sheriff's Office spokesman Gary Davidson.

"We were kind of staying optimistic and hoping that this wasn't her," Delrey's sister Eva Colina said Tuesday night while crying. "But we kind of suspected that it was, and it's a gruesome, gruesome discovery, and it's not the way that anyone wants to remember their loved one passing away.

"We're trying to keep it together," she said. "We're just trying to do what we have to do. I don't know what the next step is, but we're just trying to deal with this."

Delrey, a 42-year-old mother of two daughters, has been considered missing since July 26, when Volusia County sheriff's deputies came to her home on New York Avenue near DeLand to question her live-in boyfriend, Gerry Orr, a convicted sex offender who was under investigation again in a rape case.

Orr, 40, shot himself in the head as deputies with a search warrant waited for him to come to the door, according to the Sheriff's Office.

Soon after Orr's death, the Sheriff's Office announced Delrey was missing -- and her insulin medicine and beloved pet Shih Tzu were left behind in the house.

The first sign of her surfaced Aug. 22, when people walking in Lake Beresford Park found a partly decomposed leg with bite marks. Two days later, authorities trapped an 8-foot alligator in the lake -- near the spot where the leg was found -- but officers found no human remains in its stomach.

On Friday, search-and-rescue volunteers with cadaver dogs found "most of the entire bodily remains," Davidson said, and brought them to the Medical Examiner's Office.

Davidson said Tuesday the body was too decomposed to determine a cause of death, but an investigation by the agency's Major Case Unit is continuing.

The case against Orr began when a 23-year-old woman told police he held her hostage for at least three days and raped her in the home he shared with Delrey.

Delrey, divorced eight years ago, moved from South Florida to DeLand in 2009 to live with her boyfriend Orr. She learned his sex offender status in June and, according to family members, wanted to end the relationship. ..Source.. by ANDREW GANT, Staff writer

No comments: